← Back to Match Reports

Williamstown CYMS - Round 9




It was that time of the year where we commenced to start playing everyone for the second time this season. First up in the reverse fixture was a trip to Chelsworth to take on Old Ivanhoe with Melbourne putting on its finest weather for the day. The ground was in great form considering the heavy rain as it was void of mudpits and just naturally had a slippery deck due to the constant drizzle.

The game started with an OI explosion as they came to play early and set the tone on how things needed to be competed in such conditions giving themselves a handy lead at the first break. The game appeared looked to be a physical and dour event with both sides grappling with skills and reverting to good strong tough football. Bar a little spurt towards the end of the second half, OI had control of the match and took a deserving lead into the main change.

After a bit of self-reflection at the break, the boys came out looking to make amends and it couldn’t have started any worse with an OI goal within the opening 20 seconds of the second half. Given that goals were hard to come by, that 10-15 point lead was enough for OI to keep us at bay. We improved our intensity and fight at the contest but paid for our first half sins and ultimately outworked and outcompeted by a more hungry team – full kudos to OI for a great win.

As disappointing as the result was, the boys should be proud of the efforts to date as we head into the break with an 8-1 record. A great opportunity for everyone to take a breath, reset and prep for the second half of the year when we come back after the Queens Birthday weekend break.


This week was a tough week for the Colts. Difficult conditions combined with playing on a very big ground and a rampant opposition made hard work for the Colts in Round 9. Old Geelong proved to be a difficult opponent at home, bigger bodies and very good skill in the wet had our boys second guessing themselves. In our first big defeat for the year, the Colts boys fought it out to the end, almost matching the scoring in the last quarter.

Solid performances from Mason Lindner and Jordan Tripodi in their first Colts game for the year along with notable contributions from Pat Galic, Lewis Kennedy and Sirack Eyassu were not quite enough to make us competitive this week. The bye next week allows us to rest up and reset for the second half of the year


On a tough day for footy, the Thirds fronted up at the Fearon for what was “The Gloves” 100th game for the mighty CY’s. The boys have always love a milestone game and this was no different. The boys played hard and smart wet weather footy to control the game from the outset. Even though scores were tight in the first half, at no stage did our opponents (kew) look comfortable against a CY’s side that was hell bent on making Gloves 100th one to remember.

After half time the CY’s started to kick away and kept the Kew side goal less for the entire second half. The boys ended up running out 35 point winners in a very tough game for scoring.

Best players this week were Jake MacKenzie who is starting to put a solid body of work together, Buzza, who is really pushing for back to back b’n’f’s, Pocket Michetti, who played his best game for the year, Chris Galea who had 9 shots on goal for a return of 3 Goals 6 behinds, Jackson Fyfe whose hard style is something we love watching and in his 100th Gloves class stood out above all else.

So heading into the break, the Thirds turn 6 wins and 2 losses and equal top of the table on points but third due to percentage. A great start to the year and a chance to go out alone on top if we win our next game against ladder leader Marcellin on Friday night 17th June. Should be a great night and a chance for the club to get behind the Thirds boys!!

Again congratulations to Glove on a great 100th. One to remember for a person whose loyalty to the club and the Thirds has never wavered. Great bloke and great player!! Cheers to you Glove.