← Back to Match Reports

Williamstown CYMS - Round 11


Heading out to Caulfield to play a battling Ormond was always going to be tough. With some key players out in particular 3 from our back 6, the scene was set against a team fighting to avoid relegation. In what started and finished as an arm wrestle, Ormond took the early lead as our CYs inflicted our own pain with 9 direct turnovers in the first quarter. Although controlling the centre bounces, we were unable to capitalize giving Ormond too many opportunities through ineffective disposals.

With corrections in the 2nd we started to see some offensive drive off halfback, as Jack Gray generated some much needed drive. Holding things even through the quarter we headed into the main break 6 points ahead.

The 3rd would again see the arm wrestle continue while also seeing the game open right up as 13 goals would be shared between both teams. Ormond having 13 scoring shots kicking at 7-6. It was clear that the team that could get the stop was the team that would run away with the game. With Tommy Gill dominating the ruck, Holdsworth and Ackerly controlling the centre, Jack Gray pushing forward to increase scoreboard pressure and young guns Johnson and Dawson demonstrating poise and grit beyond their years, it all came together in the last.

CYs dominated the ball while applying the pressure, keeping Ormond to only 2 goals while kicking 4 goals 7 behinds ourselves.

Although letting ourselves down in front of goal we controlled the last stages of the game getting up by 12 points. The win clearing us out of relegation zone and projecting us to only 1 game outside of the top 4.

Zac Read continued his strong season kicking 3, while Holdsworth made an impact on his return game from injury. Jack Gray played his best game for the year and Russell Ackerly continued to shine, outstanding at the stoppages.

The scene is set for a huge game against Peninsula as we look to make a dint into the top 4.


What was easily categorised as a crossroads round of football for the reserves, saw the CY’s venturing to Glenhuntly Oval to face an in form Ormond outfit. Having fluctuations in both wins and losses for the season for the CY’s, this match was absolutely essential in order to ensure the reserves finals campaign still maintained a pulse. When assessing the context of both teams coming into the match, the script would read that the second placed Ormond having only dropped 1 game for the season, wouldn’t have too many issues dismantling the CY’s on their home deck to keep their season rolling on. It was really a question as to how willing were the CY’s to ensure this script did not go according to plan.

Although the energy and intent was high prior to the bounce, the reserves were placed on the back foot right from the word go with Ormond posting early goals and placing the backline under immediate pressure. However, the defensive switch was flicked in response, and the midfield in particular upped the output, led by Mattew Carland and Quinny, who seemed to be left right and centre in order to provide excellent defensive support. Control of the clearances was then wrestled back in our favour, allowing for some ripe opportunities for the forwards to capitalise on. George “The Bull” Daaboul was red hot early, converting set shot opportunities and injecting excellent pace into the game, as the CY’s posted a 9 point lead at quarter time.

The second term saw the reserves starting to get on top of the match, controlling play and dominating positions. Brad Carvalho providing some excellent work across half forward as well as deep in attack, while the Venosta twins continued to provide tall options as well as supporting the back six. However, the CY’s failed to capitalise on momentum posting 2.4 for the term, taking a 12 point lead into the main break.

The third term saw and increase in intensity as the CY’s looked to break away while Ormond looked to wrestle back the margin and post a lead.  Both sides went head to head in an almost deadlock like quarter, reflected on the scoreboard with the CY’s being outscored by a single point for the term to hold an 11 point advantage heading into the final quarter.

Knowing that Ormond would be mounting a charge, it was essential for the CY’s to up the defensive pressure, but also maintain the attacking brand of football that had ensured a scoreboard advantage at every change thus far. The tone was set early through Sam Rounik and Mick Cavarra who continued to supply plenty of decent run along the wings, alongside Mick Mclaughlin ploughing on with bulldozer like attacking play, resulting in the CY’s starting to surge ahead. Posting goals through decent passages of play, the lead had extended to 26 points, which looked to have almost solidified a CY’s victory. However, Ormond were not done with yet, posting back to back goals to keep their hopes alive for the afternoon. It was at this stage that the CY’s camp became a little on edge, with the circumstances of the game eerily similar to their previous Ormond meeting, which resulted in a heartbreaking 2 point loss in the final 30 seconds of the match. Could history repeat itself? Not on Nick Green’s watch. Setting the tone for the rest of the defensive unit who followed suit, Greeny’s desperation at the contest to assisting with shutting down Ormonds run was outstanding, getting down and dirty in the mudbath that had become of the centre square. The CY’s held off the remaining Ormond charges to seal a very hard fought 13 point away win.

The boys kicked off the coaches birthday weekend in style handing him his first Ormond Victory at the helm of the CY’s reserves. The match saw plenty of contributors across all positions, in what could arguably be considered the best four quarter effort from the reserves so far this season. The CY’s take on the Pirates in a showdown at the Fearon in round 12, in another pivotal match to ensure finals contention is still factored into consideration. 


Back at home and keen to address the loss last week, we faced Hampton at the Fearon who were pushing for a spot in the Top 4. With a muddy middle and a classic ‘Town winter’s day, the game started with both sides firing shots early in an entertaining and hard-faught first term. Snake appeared to be up early with a pair as both sides kept the pressure on to ensure no possession was easy.

Things didn’t change too much in the 2nd as Hampton attacked through the middle well keeping the pressure on and staying in touch on the scoreboard as the margin at the main change was 15 points.

We kicked away early in the 3rd through some fine work from our smaller half-forwards, only to have Hampton turn things around and peg a couple back as our defenders struggled to kill the ball as it entered our defensive 50. Full of run in the last, we made sure we ran the game out to avoid a repeat of last week, and had the legs as we finished with 4.4 and kept Hampton goaless for the term.

A nice win and return to the winners list that we had to work hard to earn.


Round 11 saw the Colts host rivals St. Bernards. The previous meeting saw us snatch an after the siren victory. Sadly, this weekend, the fairytale didn't continue.

St. Bernards dominated us from the start, being first to the ball and making us chase all day. Unfortunately too many players were unwilling to stick to our game plan and as a result our structure broke down across the whole ground. There are good weeks and bad weeks in sport, this was a bad one for us

Hopefully a solid week on the track and some explicit coaching will have our minds right for De La Salle at home this week.


The Thirds headed to Glenhuntly Oval to take on the Ormond Football Club in what was the first triple header for the CY’s this year. The boys were greeted with cold, wet and heavy conditions as we looked to get back on the winners list after last week’s loss to Marcellin.

Given the conditions, we knew this would be a tightly contested game as scoring would be difficult….and that’s exactly how it played out. CY’s started well but were never able to get away to more than a goal lead, which allowed Ormond to hang in the contest. This was crucial as an already undermanned CY’s outfit with the inability to rotate off the bench began to tire in the second half.

Although the boys battled it out to the final siren, Ormond were able to finish the game stronger and go on to record a 12 point win.

This has now seen the Thirds drop to fourth on the ladder and are in a struggle to keep their spot in final four. Best players this week were Jake Mackenzie, Buzza, Ports, Joel, Pocket and Big, Bad, Bustling Billy Mcrae who kicked 3 of our 4 goals.

This week the Thirds play Therry Penola away in what is a season defining game as Therry are sitting 3rd above us on percentage.

Needless to say – this is a MUST WIN game for the CY’s Thirds.