← Back to Match Reports

Williamstown CYMS - Round 16


Marcellin kept their chances of avoiding relegation and remaining in Premier C alive with a 15-point win against Williamstown CYMS. Daniel Cullinan (three) and Ash Viney (three) each led the way on the scoreboard for the Eagles, and Patrick Lunn did damage in a starring performance. Robert Chan and Joel Hogarth were the CY’s best as they now fall 10 points behind the Hoes and can no longer push for finals.


The reserves came into Saturday mornings game against Marcellin sitting in third position on the ladder, whilst their opposition languished at second last due to a poor start of the season.

The game begun with the CY’s controlling the early stages of the opening term by locking the ball in their forward half. Unfortunately, they were unable to capitalise and missed many of their opening attempts on goal. A lapse in concentration allowed Marcellin to kick a couple of quick goals and march into the first break with a  lead.

The second and third quarters followed suit, with early dominance leading to complacency to end the quarters, only on these occasions the CY’s held onto slender leads.

The fourth quarter was an arm wrestle with the ball flying back and forth, each goal Marcellin kicked was quickly answered by the CY’s and vice versa. With minutes remaining Josh Newton dropped into the defence 50 and took a strong relieving mark which was slapped out of his hands after the call had been made. A highly contentious umpiring decision reverted possession of the ball after he made minimal contact with an opposition player as he picked up the ball. The shot was converted bringing the game to within a kick. With 50 seconds left on the clock a high ball was kicked into the Marcellin forward 50, landing in the lap of a Marcellin forward who went back and put them ahead by a solitary point.

Unfortunately, that was all she wrote and the ressies suffered a devastating loss that should never have occurred, failing also to honour Zac Read in his 100th.

This is the third occasion that the reserves have been unable to finish out a game strongly and falling agonisingly short. With two games left anything less than two wins will mean an early finish.

After the seasons greatest win the previous round, no one saw this collapse coming. Complacency and arrogance were themes of the day.


After some surprise results the week earlier, we managed to wrap up top spot with 2 games to go so as we travelled over to Marcellin College, we were conscious to make sure we kept up our run of recent good form. With with the seniors and ressies also at Marcellin, it felt like half of Williamstown was at hand for the triple-header. Not starting in the best of ways, the twos got rolled at the death, as we made our 10km trek down to Oval 2 to do battle with the 19 counterparts.

In blustery conditions both sides dipped in early as it was a scrappy affair. The pill spent a bit of time on the deck and neither side were able to attack cleanly to give themselves any ascendency. We managed to snag a few late in the term but had to come up against Marcellin with the wind in the 2nd. We continued to get lots of footy although were not our clean selves. We kept plugging away and managed to hit the scoreboard and hold a steady lead at the main break.

All about time management as we walked back up the hill, we had a chat about being more efficient at half-time and showed signs of improvement in the 2nd half. There were some good passages and some average ones but to our credit we continued to keep scoring.

It wasn’t our best performance of the year but we persisted and our effort was great so we ran out comfortable winners as we head into the last round of the season proper, back at home at 9:20am for another triple header.


Round 17 saw the Colts heading to St. Kevins for the challenge of taking on the top team. The first half was fantastic with the Colts matching the opposition for endeavor and hard work. Unfortunately in the second half, the contest against significantly bigger bodies took its toll as yet again out injury toll mounted. St. Kevins ran out convincing winners, but, again, the Colts took it to the best side in the competition for a half of footy.

Again, some noteworthy performances were produced. Brendan Dawson, worked through substantial pain to be a very good performer in the ruck. Brayden Philpott continued to be fearless and ferocious in his attack on the ball and he appreciated the great support of Mac Short in a very good return to form and Jack Sutter in his return to the Colts. Missing a big forward, we still managed to score goals this week. A Best on Ground performance from Lewis Kennedy and another week of improvement from James Waters the shows that the future across the half forward line looks very positive.

One more game to go and we face the struggling De La Salle this week at their home ground. There is a real chance here for us to influence the finals because if we beat them, De La Salle will drop out. Hang in there boys, you have impressed me greatly this year with your determination to keep improving. It will turn at some point and we will enjoy winning regularly.